Homemade soup is a great option for those trying to lose weight. It is a great way to eat lean meat and vegetables. The following soup recipes are low in sodium, high in fiber and a filling meal without excessive calories. Plus, they can be made in a Crockpot, so you can come home to a warm meal. (Hint: if Santa didn’t bring you an immersion blender for Christmas, pick one up. It is a great kitchen tool for making blended soups.)
To prepare for this recipe, you’ll need to soak the beans overnight in a large pot. Make sure the beans are just covered with water before letting sit 6-8 hours, then drain.
- 1 pound black beans, prepared (see above)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 package cooked and drained turkey bacon, diced
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 ham hock – ask your butcher for a ham bone if this isn’t available in the deli
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- Low-fat sour cream, scallions for topping
Put beans in stockpot or Dutch oven and cover with water; simmer beans until just tender. Drain. Put all ingredients, except top- pings, in Crockpot on low for 9 hours. Top with sour cream and scallions.