- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder (preferably Madras)
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled, thinly sliced into rounds (about 4 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lime peel
- 5 cups (or more) low-salt chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Plain yogurt (for garnish)
Directions:Grind coriander and mustard seeds in spice mill to fine powder. Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add ground seeds and curry powder; stir 1 minute. Add ginger; stir 1 minute. Add next 3 ingredients. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; sauté until onions begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add 5 cups broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer uncovered until carrots are tender, about 30 minutes. Cool slightly. Working in batches, puree in blender until smooth. Return soup to pot. Add more broth by 1/4 cupfuls if too thick. Stir in lime juice; season with salt and pepper.DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm before serving.Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with yogurt and serve.
Get Free Email Updates!
Weekly updates on conditions, treatments, and pain medicine.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.