By Jess O’Toole
The omega-3 fatty acids found in oily fish like tuna decrease inflammation in the body and help lubricate the joints. The American Heart Association recommends adults eat at least two servings of fish a week because omega-3s are also great for reducing triglycerides and promoting heart health. The benefits of eating fish far outweigh the risks, but including a variety of fish in your diet will minimize exposure to mercury. If the tuna steaks at the fish counter are bigger than the weight and thickness specified for the recipe, you’ll just need to cook them a bit longer.
- Prepare the cherry tomatoes by cutting half of them in half and leaving the rest whole. Set aside. Heat a large skillet with 1 tbsp. olive oil. Once warm, add garlic, rosemary and crushed red pepper flakes. Turn the heat down to medium-low and cook for 1 minute to infuse the oil with flavor. Toss the cherry tomatoes into the skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until blistered and beginning to release their juices (about 5 minutes). Add the chickpeas, sherry vinegar, smoked paprika and 1/8 tsp. sea salt, stirring to combine. Cook for a couple minutes until heated through.
- Meanwhile, grill the tuna steaks. Heat the grill to medium-high. Rub the tuna with 1/4 teaspoon olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper. Cook the tuna steaks for about 6 minutes, turning once halfway through for medium rare. Split the tomato-chickpea mixture between two plates and top with a tuna steak.
- Olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/8-1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes, depending on how much heat you like
- 8 oz. cherry tomatoes
- 1 can chickpeas (15 oz.), drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp. sherry vinegar
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tuna steaks, weighing about 3.5 oz. each and 1-inch thick
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
- Calories 881
- Total Fat 15g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 1,124mg
- Total Carbohydrates 56g
- Dietary Fiber 15g
- Sugars 8g
- Protein 40g