Almond butter makes for an excellent pre-workout snack because it contains both protein and healthy monounsaturated fats. Most almond butters are minimally processed and void of added salt, sugars, and fats, unlike a lot of commercially available peanut butters which are loaded with unhealthy extras. On top of that, almond butter will keep you feeling fuller longer, without slowing your workout down.
These energy bites are super simple to whip up, and can also be tailored based on what you have in your pantry. Made ahead of time, the bites will travel well when placed in an airtight container, so you can easily go from work to snack to gym!
No-Bake Almond Butter Energy Bites
INGREDIENTS (Makes 8-10 Bites)
- ¼ cup ground flax meal
- ¼ cup dry oats
- ¼ cup coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ cup almond butter
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 2 tablespoons cacao nibs
- 2 tablespoons dried cherries, cranberries, or goji berries
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium-size bowl, until thoroughly combined.
- Cover the mixture and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, separate the mixture and roll into balls. Sprinkle with extra coconut or chia seeds, if desired.
- Store in an airtight container, in the refrigerator, for up to 2 weeks.
What is your favorite way to eat almond butter?