Looking for a simple and versatile recipe, with a lot of health benefits, too? This tomato sauce fits the bill, and best of all, is made in a slow cooker! No fuss, no muss.
Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, which is a powerful source of antioxidants and cancer-fighting agents. Studies have shown that consuming tomatoes can be an effective method to reduce the risk of pancreatic and prostate cancer, in particular. As an added bonus, lycopene is beneficial to the skin as well. It is believed to act as an “internal sunscreen” protecting skin from sunburn and aids in preventing fine lines and wrinkles.
Try this slow cooker sauce on pasta, as a dip for vegetables, or mixed with stock as the base of a hearty soup!
Simple Slow Cooker Tomato Sauce (Serves 4-6)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2, 28-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Place the olive oil, tomatoes, garlic cloves, salt, and honey if using, in a slow cooker set over low heat. Cover and cook for approximately 4-6 hours, stirring occasionally until the tomatoes have started to break down.
- Remove the slow cooker lid, and simmer for an additional hour.
- If you prefer a smooth tomato sauce, transfer the mixture to a blender and pulse, or use an immersion blender to get it to your desired consistency
- Stir in basil, if using.
Are you going to try this easy-peasy slow cooker tomato sauce?
Get Free Email Updates!
Weekly updates on conditions, treatments, and pain medicine.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.