Making dried fruit at home can be as simple as turning on your oven. It can also be a less expensive alternative to purchasing a store bought version. Pineapple lends itself well to drying because it has an inherent sweetness that comes out even more so once baked.
From a nutrition standpoint, pineapple contains a high concentration of vitamin C, manganese, and the enzyme bromelain. Bromelain is a powerful anti-inflammatory agent that can help in alleviating chronic pain. Pairing the pineapple with spices like turmeric, cinnamon, and cayenne packs an extra antioxidant punch.
The next time you have a hankering for a sweet snack, whip up a batch of these pineapple slices!
Spiced Oven-Dried Pineapple (Makes 24-30 Slices)
- 1 whole pineapple, peeled with “eyes” removed
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 225 degrees.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the pineapple on its side, and carefully cut slices as thin as possible.
- Place the slices on the baking sheets. Evenly sprinkle the spices over all of the pineapple.
- Bake the pineapple slices for approximately one hour, flipping once, until both sides are dry and lightly browned.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days!
Do you make dried fruit at home?
Get Free Email Updates!
Weekly updates on conditions, treatments, and news about everything happening inside pain medicine.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.