This vibrantly colored, satisfying breakfast is inspired by Moroccan ingredients. Couscous cooks quickly and provides a fun change from the usual breakfast grains. Citrus segments are arranged atop a fluffy bed of this couscous flavored with the Moroccan touch of cinnamon and rose water. Almonds toasted with cinnamon and a pinch of powdered sugar provide a sweet, crunchy topping and the mint is fresh and lively. feel free to substitute whatever citrus is available in your market. Serves 2
- 1 tangelo
- 1 blood orange
- 1 mandarin orange
- 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup couscous, either regular or whole wheat
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 pinches powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Zest from 1 lemon
- Rose water
- 1 small container of Greek yogurt, 6 ounces
- A small handful of fresh mint leaves for garnish
- Prepare the citrus, cutting off the peel and segmenting the fruit into bite-sized pieces.
- Cook the couscous. Place the grains in a small pot with the cinnamon stick, cardamom pods (lightly crushed with a spoon), and a few pinches of sea salt. boil water in a kettle or separate pot, and then pour it over the couscous. Cover the couscous with a lid and let it steam until the liquid is absorbed, about 5-10 minutes.
- Toast the almonds in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring in ground cinnamon. Cook until the almonds are golden brown and fragrant, just a couple of minutes. Pour the toasted almonds into a bowl and sprinkle with a few pinches of powdered sugar. Set aside.
- Once the couscous is done steaming, fluff it with a fork, discarding the cinnamon stick and cardamom pods. Pour melted butter over the couscous and stir in the lemon zest plus 1/2 teaspoon rose water.
- Divide the couscous into two bowls. stir 1/4 teaspoon rose water into the citrus and arrange the citrus segments atop the couscous. Place a couple spoonfuls of yogurt in the center of the couscous and drizzle honey over the top. Garnish the couscous with the sliced almonds and fresh mint leaves. serve immediately.