Looking for a unique appetizer to serve at your holiday cocktail party? Consider this very vegetable, Stromboli roll recipe! It can be prepared up to a day in advance and baked right before your guests arrive, or can be baked, sliced, and then served at room temperature, making it ideal for the no-fuss, no-muss host or hostess!
This is a hearty bite with a lot of vegetable goodness in it, but the recipe concept is very versatile should you want to switch up the ingredients, lessen the cheese, or just use whatever is currently hanging out in your refrigerator! The Stromboli works as an appetizer, or is a great accompaniment to soup or salad for a winter dinner!
Very Vegetable Stromboli Roll
INGREDIENTS (Serves 4-6)
- 1, 1-pound package of premade pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 1 small white onion, finely diced
- 8-ounces cremini mushrooms, diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1 tomato diced
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan, set over medium heat. Add the pepper, onion, mushrooms, garlic, and salt and pepper to the pan and cook for approximately 8-10 minutes, stirring, until the water has cooked out of the mushrooms and the vegetables are soft. Remove from stovetop and let cool slightly.
- Roll your pizza dough out on a large baking sheet, in the shape of a rectangle, with about ¼” thickness (it doesn’t have to be perfect!).
- Spread the vegetable filling over the dough, in a thin layer, leaving about ½” border around the perimeter. Sprinkle with the cheese, spinach, and tomato.
- Carefully, roll the dough into the shape of a log. Place it seam-side down on the baking sheet.
- Bake for approximately 35-40 minutes, until the dough is completely cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Slice and serve!
What are your favorite holiday appetizer recipes?